25 DAYS AND COUNTING...COUNTING DOWN!
Thanks for stopping by and taking a peak... It's been quite the ride...running and racing pretty consistently over the past 40+ years, but as you know, those days are coming to an end on August 18th of this year, the finish line of the Leadville100 Trail Run, the final race in the #Leadman series.
As I sit here, readying myself for my final 3 races before I hang up the trainers, I thought it might be fun to look back at my 25 favorite races, though not necessarily the fastest, I guess we could say the 25 most 'memorable'.
I would hate to guess how as to how many races I have raced and/or paced since I started running in August of 1976...has to be close to 600+ races, and maybe someday I'll tackle the counting of races, but for today, we'll just say that 'I've raced a lot'. ...and I LOVE(D) to race...1 mile on the track/roads, marathons, trail ultras, just get me to the starting line healthy, and I'll give it my all. A lot of times giving my all meant a BIG win, other times I would blow-up and wind up finishing 7th...but I learned SO much every time I raced, and while I never got to the 'next level', I could usually get myself in sub 16 minute 5K shape pretty quick, it's the consistency that would always curtail my training/racing. New job, new girlfriend...whatever, but I always had my running, and eventually it was back to racing. Running, I will surely miss you...but I need to focus on the next 'journey' that life has in store for me...
25 days of races, leading up to the finish of the Leadville 100...
So, let's get this party started...drum-roll, please...coming in at #25:
June 8th, 1991, this whole summer/fall for that matter, but of all the racing I did that summer, the Racine Lighthouse 10 Mile Run really stands out.
I get to the race late, shocking, I know...quick packet pick-up, throw on the flats and BANG, gun goes off, but I'm still a block away at the car! There was no 'chip' time back then, so the clock is running...but I'm in solid shape, let's see how many I can catch. Get to the start line with the clock at :41 seconds, but with so many people, I never had to run alone.
I don't remember many of my splits, (mile 6 in 5:19) but I do remember how GREAT I felt...legs felt strong and springy, and I really got into a groove early...and with the exception of a little 'struggle' over the final .5 mile, I felt (and ran) rock solid. Strong field, as usual for this race, but I crossed in 55:56 (55:15) to finish 22nd place overall. ...I still wonder how fast I could have run had I gone out with the leaders, but either way, this race will always be a highlight. ...I also remember that we did a 11+ mile cool-down after the race, for some reason, maybe to make up for the warm-up that never happened.
1991 was a good running year for me, with 19 races (winning 7 of them).
May of that year I was on the winning Big Bay Relay team, a couple of weeks later I won a 5K in Peshtigo,WI; June had me at the Lighthouse Run, and then later that month I won another 5K, this time in Cambridge, WI...nothing fast (16:01), but a win.
Badger State Games (4 x 800 anchor); 4th place at the Rockford Mile (4:18) in August; Schneider National 2 Mile Champs, big win in 9:39 in September...and in October, the Lodi Library Fund Run (15:54 for 2nd) and the Beloit Classic the following weekend, same time, same place...
SO many races...I hope you check back from time to time over the next 25 days...not only a lot of races, a LOT of stories...with so many friends/relationships made!
Running playlist song #25: The Pretender - Foo Fighters
Tomorrow, #24, is gonna be fun :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Running Memory #11
25 DAYS AND COUNTING...COUNTING DOWN! RACE #11 First of all, I see that the blog has now been viewed over 16,000 times...holy carp! Thank yo...
-
Has it really been over 2 months since my last post? Hmmm...seems like just yesterday... So much life in the past 2 months... F irst, can ...
-
Where did all this snow come from? Great for those of you heading to Birkie this weekend, but it sucks for those of us looking to run on so...
-
Finally, an updated blog...it's been a crazy few months, but life is beginning to settle down. Yes, Leadman is still happening. Not su...

No comments:
Post a Comment